Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

I'm denied a teaching credential from the state of

Customer Question

I'm denied a teaching credential from the state of california for a federal felony, however my offense was non violent or serious according to there handbook and penal codes. Im not understanding why I'm still denied
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under CA law any felony MAY be grounds to deny a teaching certification. Even though it was a non-violent or serious felony, the department of education MAY still deny it and your sole recourse is filing an appeal and asking them for a waiver to allow the certificate since a non-violent felony can be waived by them..