Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

This is a weird question. I was found in contempt of court

Customer Question

This is a weird question. I was found in contempt of court in Utah, because I did not have the funds to travel there from Denver, nor to have an attorney help me. I supplied the information asked for by the court, but because I did not show up, the opposing counsel asked for the ability to issue a bench warrant for my arrest and extradiction. Now he is asking for moneys to not go forward with the bench warrant. I am scared to death and do not know what to do or what actions I should take. I did nothing wrong, merely supplied the information asked for, but because I could not be there in person to argue my case, this happened. Can you help me?
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am sorry, but what is your actual question for us regarding this issue? State law forbids us from representing anyone from this site.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the question is what are my rights in regards ***** ***** bench warrant from Utah and me living in Colorado and can this attorney badger me into paying him not to file the bench warrant?
Thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately, if you were mandated to appear in court and failed to do so for any reason without permission of the court, you have violated the court's orders. So the attorney had a right to obtain a bench warrant for your willful failure to appear I am afraid. The attorney has a right, since they asked for the warrant, to negotiate some settlement on the warrant to avoid your arrest on the warrant. However, the failure to appear in court without court approval is not something courts take lightly which is why they issued the warrant. You really will need to negotiate this with the attorney because if he files it in Colorado you could be arrested on the warrant IF the court agrees they will pay for your transportation back to UT. However, if the court will not pay to bring you back to UT on the warrant, then the warrant will stay filed and if you are ever stopped in UT you would be arrested on it (there are no guarantees on this either way as to what will happen on whether or not you would be actually arrested on the warrant and extradited to UT).