Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

My son was charged with threat and attempted assault with

Customer Question

My son was charged with threat and attempted assault with dangerous weapon (gun) he did not assault female it was an associate he was with and because she set up a meeting with my son and his friend to sell them Cochin, my son's friend robbed them of the drugs and they ran off. I know my son is guilty by association and the female only knew my sons name she accused him of assault and lied to the police about the situation to place the reason why she met with my son was because my son owed her money. I know my son has a record of minor offenses and what he told me is that he's looking at 10 years. My son has texts from the young lady and I'm pretty sure she does also. Is there any chance his sentence would be lowered if the texts prove that she lied about her case against him.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
His sentence could be lowered if it can be proven she lied and it is also possible that could be grounds to go to trial as well, because if your son's attorney proves she lied, that destroys her credibility about everything else. Even if he is convicted, her committing a criminal offense is grounds to minimize his sentence or even get him probation. However, I would get your son's attorney to challenge the credibility of this alleged victim, because proving she lied is grounds for the judge to disregard all of her testimony about everything that happened and that would get your son found not guilty.