Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney with 29 yrs. exp. in criminal law
19127644

Question regarding what I believe is a non-traffic summary

Customer Question

Question regarding what I believe is a non-traffic summary offense in PA.
I was not arrested/photographed/fingerprinted at the time of the incident (incident being charged as a summary harassment).
One day after the incident, a police officer called me and said he was writing up the offense as a non-traffic summary offense (but mentioned it could have been a misdemeanor). Before we got off the phone, I confirmed with the office that he was writing a non-traffic summary offense and sending the citation to me to be paid (assuming I plead guilty).
Question: With the discussion I had, is there a chance I could receive a letter, informing me that this is a harassment misdemeanor?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. Yes, there is always a chance since the police do not make the ultimate charging decision, the Prosecuting Attorney for the State/County does. That said, the prosecutor rarely increases the charge level once received by police. It can happen though.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 4th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating,please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.