Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

I have a question in criminal case after conviction what are

Customer Question

hi
I have a question
in criminal case after conviction what are the options we have if we feel that trial was not fair
expected sentence is too much for this kind of felony
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Your options after conviction would be first to file a motion to reconsider sentencing. If you feel the trial was not fair, then filing an appeal to the court of appeals is warranted where you can appeal not only the conviction based on an unfair trial, but you can also appeal the sentence being overly harsh based on the nature of the offense. The appeal goes to the court of appeals first and if they deny the appeal, then you can file an appeal to the state supreme court.
So those are the options to fight an unfair conviction or an overly harsh sentence to seek to have the conviction vacated or at the least the sentence reduced.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
between conviction and sentencing there is a gap of few months what are the options we have to change the sentence /reduce the sentence
Thank you for your reply.
Again, you can file a motion for post conviction relief to the court to ask them to reconsider the sentence OR you can file an appeal to the court of appeals seeking a reduction based on the sentence being too harsh.