Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

I'm on probation and had a deadline. I finished paying fines

Customer Question

I'm on probation and had a deadline. I finished paying fines and finished dui class but I still have substance abuse program to finish. Can I extend my probation so I don't violate?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: This is in florida
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, I had one for the case but that was for the sentencing
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I finished everything except for the substance abuse program. I signed up but I have a warrant for my arrest for violation of probation. But my probation isn't over until the end of August. The deadline I was required to finish by was July 16
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 months ago.

In my experience, if you are regularly attending the program by the time you have to go to court for the violation, a judge will generally be willing to extend your probation so that you can complete the program. The court would generally not want to pull you out of a program in order to put you in jail. It would be a good idea to inform your lawyer of the issue so that you have representation and someone to make the argument for you at the hearing for your violation.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.