Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I let a friend barrow a car I am the owner of, he is

Customer Question

I let a friend barrow a car I am the owner of, he is refusing to return it saying it is his car. I tod him he could barrow it until he got back on his feet , he did make two partial car payments but now he refuses to return it - what are my options. I live in Virginia
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No this just happened last night.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: no - I have no contract with him, the car was purchased by me from the bank and is financed in my name and my daughters name.
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  Bill Attorney replied 7 months ago.

Thanks for your question today.

The fact is that you are the owner of the car with the vehicle registration in your name.

Then, you have two choices.

(1) To yourself take the car from the possession of your friend.

(2) If this is a difficulty due to force or intimidation, you will need to inform the police that your friend is refusing you your legal right to lawful possession.

They shall see that the car is returned to you.

As far as criminal offenses that your friend is committing, he could be charged for unlawful conversion as a misdemeanor or felony.

If this answers your question, please rate positively.

If there is something else I didn't attend to, please get back to me.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
1. How do I take the car from his possession?
2. can you tell me the virginia law regarding possession of a vehicle please?
3. I am afraid he will hide the car - what happens if I cannot find the car to take possession?
4. I do not have the key to the car - it is in his possession

Then, you will need to report the matter to the police, so that you can recover possession.

The ownership and law is to whom the car is registered under.

A third party/ your friend cannot obstruct your right to possession as the owner, if you are.

The criminal offense is unlawful conversion.

It would appear that your friend is guilty of this.

The offense is similar from State to State, and similar to theft.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can I remove the license plates from it legally since I do not have the key to take possession?

While the car is in public, the plates should stay on, so tampering with them may get you in trouble with the law.

You need to contact the police station to recover your car.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you - makes sense!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How do I pay the 59.00 - will this be charged to me credit card?

Please just rate my answer positively so that I get a contribution. You need to contact the customer services with questions related to payment. Thanks again and Best of Luck !