Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.

I am out of the country. Someone told me that they were

Customer Question

I am out of the country. Someone told me that they were making a complaint against me. Is there a way to know if there is an arrest warrant out for me? Will I be stopped at the border?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

No, unfortunately only law enforcement can see if there is a warrant. However, it is unusual for it to show up on the INS or Border Patrol computers unless it is something to do with terrorism.

I know people who have passed through airports and crossed the border with active warrants for them.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is an ex girlfriend who said she went to the police accusing me of rape. It seems like a pretty serious accusation. I am scared to cross the border. (I am in Canada right now. She is in Maryland). Is there any way to know?

No, unfortunately not a 100% effective way. If you have a lawyer representing you in anything where you live you could call them and they can likely find out through the back channels but officially you have to be a police officer to access the warrant database.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
is there a chance that I just get arrested at the border?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can a lawyer access the warrant database? What is the warrant database?

There is a slight chance.

A District Attorney can access the warrant database because they are law enforcement as well but not a defense lawyer.

The warrant database is maintained by the NCIC. You can read about the NCIC at

You will read online that some companies advertise they can access that database but that is absolutely untrue as far as having legal access. It logs in everyone who accesses it and you must have a law enforcement ID.

It also takes a while for a warrant to make it into the system.

The best way for a person to find out is to hire a local lawyer and they can look into it by contacting the police, the DA, etc.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If a defense attorney asks the DA or the police, are they obligated to tell the truth to the defence attorney?

No, they're not. They usually will though. Plus, most criminal defense attorneys have a source or two inside the department that they can rely on.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Would this site have arrest warrants listed?

No. It might have the case listed if they have filed the case in court but that's unlikely. Usually they will go through the indictment process on a felony before issuing a warrant although they can issue the warrant and then indict later.

The ONLY place that has warrants nationwide, which it would have to be to catch you at the border, would be the NCIC database.