Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I lost priviledge of drivers license and registration due to

Customer Question

I lost priviledge of drivers license and registration due to insurance lap. I have auto insurance. How long will I not have my drivers license? How long will I not have my registration? Are they always served separately?May I sell my car without registration?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 8 months ago.

Can you tell me what state you are in so I can look at the laws for you?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
NYS I am a citical Care Nurse living 52 miles from the hospital I need to get to work

Give me a short time to research this.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Please tell me step by step what will happen after I turn in my plates

I will.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How can I apply for a restrictive license and can I apply right away?

I am going to give you that information

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What is going on? Are you still on line?

I am preparing a complete answer for you. It will take a short time

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Are you still there?

In NYS, when liability insurance lapses, DMV regulations require that license plates be surrendered along with vehicle registration The DMV will suspend your driver license for the same number of days as your registration suspension.

Here is what you need to do to get your license back:

1) To reinstate your driver license, you must pay the DMV a $50. This is called a suspension termination fee. If you license has been You can pay this online or at the DMV office in your area.

2) You have to then wait for your suspension period to end. Then the DMV will mail the license to your within 3 days after the suspension period ends.

Unfortunately, you cannot get a conditional license license. You have to wait for you suspension to end to drive again.

You can sell your car without registration. As long as you have the title, you can sell it.

3)

Let me know if you have more questions.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The suspension period is both for license and registration. Are they served separaely or together. Will I not be able to drive mty car for 6 months or one year?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How is the suspension period calculated. You have told me nothing that I did not know.

Were you served with a letter stating your license was suspended for a definite time?

Do you have an end date?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I was never notified of any of thiss.I went to rent a car and when I called my insurance company they said hat my insurance was terminated
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have no tickets no court dates no nothing

How long was your insurance lapsed?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I received nothing in the mail or on line . The dmv insurance lapse suspension 2/5/16l

You need to determine when the insurance lapsed. That is the number of dates you will have a suspended license.

Was you registration lapsed too?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No my registration is good through 2017. But the dmv took that away too

OK. That is good it did not lapse. That would have meant more days without a license.

You need to look at when your insurance lapsed. That is how you can determine the number of days your license is suspended.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is the beginning of the license suspension when the insurance company saisd so and when does it end , when they receive my plates or when I got new insurance

Basically, the DMV is penalizing you for each day you did not have insurance.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How much moneywill this cost and will I have to reapply fior a brand new license and take my driving test again?

It begins starting from the day of the suspension 2/5/16.

It will cost $50 for the suspension termination fee.

No, you will not hae to get a brand new license. They will send you your license after the suspension period is over.

You need to get your plates back to DMV right away.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I think that you are wrong about the registration. The dmv cancelled it and they are going to charge me the exact same amount of days and my question is do I serve them together or separately. I think that it is separately. And this is cricial. Will I not be able to drive my car for 6 months or one year?

I will opt out so you can ask another expert this question. I believe I am right about what I am telling you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
is it the returning of the plates or my insurance that marks the end of my suspensiontime