Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience
77476456

While the allegation is not true, I am afraid to return

Customer Question

While the allegation is not true, I am afraid to return home. Is there a way to know if there is an arrest warrant out for me? Will I be stopped at the border when I re-enter?
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My girlfriend said that she went to the police to accuse me of rape. I am currently in Canada. While the allegation is not true, I am afraid to return home. Is there a way to know if there is an arrest warrant out for me? Will I be stopped at the border when I re-enter?
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

The easiest way to determine if there is an arrest warrant is to contact the law enforcement agency that your girlfriend called. You can contact both the local police where she lives as well as the Maryland State Police.

You can also use online searches such as the following:

http://www.marylandarrests.org/maryland-active-warrant-search.html

http://casesearch.courts.state.md.us/casesearch/

If there is a Warrant open against you then you may very well be detained when you re-enter the US.

If you find that there is pending criminal charges your best be is to involve local defense counsel as soon as possible. The can arrange for you to return and turn yourself in in a manner that you will not have to be held pending hearing.

This link can assist t you in finding local counsel:

http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/practicestate/criminal-law/maryland

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald