Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.

In 2014 I was asked to come in in West by state troopers.

Customer Question

In 2014 I was asked to come in for questioning in West Virginia by state troopers. Not knowing what was going on, I went. At the time I was pregnant. I was denied my rights for an attorney and was made several threats that I was going to have my baby in prison and my oldest will be taken away. They took my personal property without a warrant and when I asked they said I'm not leaving the station til they had my phone. This case involved my fiancé, with my car which I knew nothing about. I really need some advice and don't know who to go to.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 3 months ago.

This is Samuel. Please note I do NOT participate in phone calls offered by this website and we will continue here.
You state: " I was denied my rights for an attorney..."

At what point did you request to have an attorney present?

You state: "...made several threats that I was going to have my baby in prison and my oldest will be taken away."

What were these threats in regard to? Was this before or after you requested your attorney?

At any time were you told you were under arrest and not free to leave?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello Samuel,
I asked for an attorney after seeing my fiancés picture. They wanted me to identify the man in the picture and when I asked for an attorney they said I was guilty and withholding information. The threats were if I disnt identify him,I was going to be charged and arrested.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I was told that I was not able to leave til I volunteerly turn over my phone

Thank you

I suggest you should consider consulting with a local civil rights attorney admitted to the federal Bar Association so this can be taken to federal court, if the attorney cannot get a satisfactory settlement for you out of court.

You should not have been denied an attorney when you made the request, whether you were arrested or not - that interview should have stopped. Additionally, placing you under duress to provide "evidence" that could be self incriminating is also a violation of your civil rights. Honestly, the entire process stinks. And I suggest you consider having a local federal civil rights attorney review all the facts and matters. Seek an attorney who will do this on a contingency which means the fee is an agreed upon percentage of whatever settlement you get.

Not allowing you to leave without handing over "evidence" and making it look like it was a voluntary concession - all appear to be civil rights violations.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Do you know any sites that can help me find an attorney? How can I word everything out when describing my case?

You can tell a local attorney that your civil rights were violated. And then explain what happened. I suggest you write it down, in order of events so you can then simply refer to that list.
The Federal Bar Association began offering a free “Need an Attorney” search listing to the public this summer. The general public will be able to search for an attorney in their local area. The directory includes participating FBA members. Use this link and contact the Bar and ask about the Need an Attorney listings.

I need to sign off for the night now. But if you have other questions in this regard, you can post them here and I will respond first thing tomorrow. Thanks for your understanding and patience.