Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience

I was in court monday fraud i didnt have a lawyer and this

Customer Question

i was in court monday for retail fraud i didnt have a lawyer and this is my fist time in trouble with the law im 33 years old and the judge sent me to the probation department and set up meeting with her monday and i have a court date the 15th will i be doing jail time
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

While I can not predict the future it is unlikely that you will do actual jail time unless the amount of money involved in the fraud is substantial.

The Court in the vast majority of these kinds of cases will Order: 1) "Restitution" 2) Fines and 3) a Probationary period.

If you have otherwise not been in any trouble, and the amount is small the Court might Order you into a diversionary program. This is where you serve a period pf probation (usually a year) and if you complete the probation without a problem the charges can be dismissed. You can ask the probationary officer if that is an option in your situation, and if they would support such a recommendation.

Otherwise, the most likely scenario is a probationary period as described above.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,