AttyHeather
AttyHeather, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
93913325

I confided in a coworker opinion. I told m my son who is 4

Customer Question

I confided in a coworker for his opinion. I told him my son who is 4 told me his babysitter touched him in his genital. I know this isn't true and I told my coworker that. I told him it was probably the babysitter wiping my son after going to the bathroom or after baths, my son has said the same thing about his father. The coworker went to the general manager and the general manager fired me because I didn't go to the police. I had it taken care of I knew it wasn't true I told the babysitter he wasn't allowed around my kids anymore. He said it was slander even though I told my coworker it wasn't true. Should I have been fired?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Heather, an attorney with 15 years experience and I can assist for informational purposes.

Indiana is an employment at will state. This means that your employer can fire you at any reason, unless a contract or law provides otherwise. If you have an employment contract that your employer has signed that discusses reasons for your termination of employment, and if this is not in the contract, then the firing was improper. Likewise, if you were fired for a reason that is unlawful, that would be improper. Normally, this would be discriminatory type reasons, like firing someone for race, or finding out that the person is of a certain religion. Firing for the reason you described is not something that I have ever heard is an unlawful reason to fire.

Has that answered your question?