How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 36117
Experience:  30 years legal experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am curious to know if I can leave the country. I have two

Customer Question

I am curious to know if I can leave the country. I have two outstanding warrants in the state of Missouri, both misdemeanors. They are about 6 or 7 years old and they were issued to me while I was living in another state. I missed the court dates and now they are must appears. I have been pulled over by the police since then and had my name run and was not arrested on any instance. Nor anything regarding those warrants brought to my attention. So I am wondering if I can leave the country to Mexico for vacation. The charges are misdemeanor paraphernalia possession. The second charge is a misdemeanor stealing charge.
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

While you can leave the country with active warrants for failure to appear, it is possible that you could be stopped and held when you re-enter the country while Customs checks the state of MO where the warrants have been issued and ask if the state wants you held for extradition. However, as a practical matter, states don't bother to go to the trouble of extradition for a failure to appear warrant.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

As I have, in good faith, already provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,