Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Back in 1985, I was convicted of a Cocaine Conviction. I did

Customer Question

Back in 1985, I was convicted of a Cocaine Conviction. I did 30 days in Jail, and 5 years probation, and a fine of around 8,000.00. I was told that I could have a gun for hunting purposes, by my probation officer. I was caught with about a half ounce at a night club, and about another half ounce at my home. I have never been involved or charged with any violent crime what so ever. The only thing prior to this charge was a misdemeanor Marijuana charge, in 1975. That just cost me*****cost. No probation. Other than that, the only other things have been an occasional speeding ticket. Can you help me out? I am 65 years old, and I want my record cleared. Anything that you can do to help me, I would really appreciate it
Thanks
Jerry ****
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation, Jerry. What exactly are you trying to do:

1) Get the record sealed, or

2) Get rights to a firearm, but not necessarily get the records sealed (but if sealed, that would be good)?

In other words - what do you mean by "record cleared?" Are you more concerned for gun rights, or employer background checks, etc?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.