P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
11181181

Got a photo ticket in the mail. No speed limit signs from

Customer Question

got a photo ticket in the mail for speeding. No speed limit signs from the direction I was coming from. I came into a school zone with a lower speed limit than the rest of the road....but no signs alerting you to either the school or the speed limit change. I feel that this was entrapment. Am I correct
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 4 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

What you are describing is not entrapment. Entrapment is when the police take action to induce you to commit a crime you would not otherwise commit...for example, if an undercover officer convinces you to buy drugs from them? That could be entrapment.

What you are describing, if there was no notice of the reduced speed limit? That would be a defense to the charge of speeding. To enforce a speed limit, the authorities must give you notice of the lowered speed limit...if they did not? Then they can not charge you for it.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.