Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

I first need you ton know I'm in georgia but i wanted t know

Customer Question

i first need you ton know I'm in georgia but i wanted t know how long does the police have to file charges after in alleged offense
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: henry county georgia
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: the lawyer put in a motion to suppress in limine but is was denied they did nothing to have suppressedbut she has continuously asked me if i wanted to change plea , she's a public defender i file to go pro se yesterday
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: i welcomed an unknown mam in my home he was smoking while i was in the tub when i came out asked to leave only got his first name have no criminal record police showed up to my house because i was in diabetic attack my daughter opened door i asked to speak to attorney after drug force came refused several times
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

The state of Georgia has a two year statute of limitations on misdemeanors and a 4 year statute of limitations on most felonies. Forcible rape has a 15 year statute of limitations and murder has none, meaning it can be prosecuted at any time.

The time starts running at the commission of the crime, but with sex offenses against minors, the statute doesn't start to run until the victim is 16.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I didn't ask about sex offenders I asked about a criminal case of possession of marijuana
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

I apologize if my answer wasn't clear enough. You did not tell me in your question what the charge was. You only said it was an "alleged offense." So I gave you the statutes of limitations for all crimes in your state.

The state of limitations for a simple possession of marijuana case in Georgia is two years because it's a misdemeanor, and as I mentioned in my original answer, the statute of limitations on a misdemeanor is 2 years.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.