Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

How to determine the victims for a federal restitution?

Customer Question

I am required to pay federal restitution. (I was victimized and had a terrible attorney). How do I determine who the victims are?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 3 months ago.
I am sorry to hear about this situation. Normally, the restitution order would be specific as to whom the restitution has to be paid to. So this should be very clear and in the order rendered by the US District Court. Normally, it is whom the US Attorney (prosecutor) argued were the "victims."
Your payment would not be made directly to the other party. The U.S. Clerk of Court is charged with the collection and distribution of restitution as any payment that you pay in. For crimes committed prior to 1996, the U.S. Attorney's Office, Financial Litigation Unit (FLU) or the U.S. Clerk of Court may be responsible, depending on the District.