Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

In 1995 I was charged with theft 5th degree-1978 (SMMS)

Customer Question

In 1995 I was charged with theft 5th degree-1978 (SMMS) CHARGE 714.2 (5). I received a deferred judgement with 5 years probation. I live in Iowa how do I truly and get this off my permanent record. I can't get a decent job when employers decide to go back 20+ years
JA: You're dealing with a tough issue. But don't worry -- you're in good hands. I know the lawyer has information that can help.
Customer: Oh I get so frustrated!!
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, can't afford one due to the fact is can't get a decent job! I have had great opportunities but when they do the background check that comes up. I am very up front with that as it has been 21 years ago and I am not even that person
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I'm not sure what he/she would need. I will supply anything they neec
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 8 months ago.

If you were given a deferred judgment and completed your sentence, you would be eligible to expunge your misdemeanor from your record in Iowa. This requires petitioning the court, and is best done by a lawyer, since there are no standard forms for it.

You can contact the Iowa Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service to find a lawyer who could do this for you, if you don't know where to start looking for one.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 8 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.