Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

I'm on a 10 year suspended sentence and I ts only been a

Customer Question

I'm on a 10 year suspended sentence for drugs and I ts only been a year and a couple months and I just caught a new poss. Cds charge and wanna know are they gonna reinstate it or will I just get prison time. I have been cooperative in my probation and I live in oklahoma city
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, you do face jail time for getting a new charge while on probation/suspended sentence. Generally, if you are convicted on the new charge, you are looking at a probation violation and that means the judge could impose a separate sentence on you of up to 4-6 years on that charge (it can be less if the judge is in a good mood) plus a separate sentence on the new conviction.
The good news is that if this is a first violation, the court can be convinced by your attorney to give minimal jail and mandatory drug rehab on a first offense and most times the courts will impose some type of inpatient and outpatient rehab and a fine instead of prison time. A subsequent offense will not get the same treatment.