Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

Is there a way to know if someone has made a assault

Customer Question

Is there a way to know if someone has made a sexual assault complaint against me to the police.
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Ely replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

No, I am sorry to say that unless the police volunteer this information, it is not available. While Maryland does have a freedom of information act (which allows a request for records via a letter - see HERE), a pending criminal investigation is an exception to the rule. Now again, the police may disclose the existence of such a criminal complaint, but it is their choice whether or not to do so.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
how do I know for sure if someone has accused of something? It makes me very uneasy
Expert:  Ely replied 3 months ago.
There is no RIGHT to know. However, if someone DOES make a criminal accusation against you, then shortly thereafter, the police would reach out to ask you to talk to them and get your version of the events:
1) a police complaint is filed;
2) the police investigate by questioning all parties involved and reviewing the evidence;
3) they pass on the information to the District Attorney;
4) the D.A. makes a decision whether to charge or not.
If the police do contact you, you do not want to respond without an ATTORNEY speaking on your behalf.
Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.