Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

What do I need to do to Have my civil rights restored from a

Customer Question

What do I need to do to
Have my civil rights restored from a felony conviction on Long Island New York over 30 years ago?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Are you online at this time?

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 months ago.

If your case was dismissed outright, New York automatically seals the dismissal by operation of law. All records of the case would be destroyed and the matter would not show up on your criminal history.

However, if your case resulted in a conviction, New York State does not expunge/seal felony or misdemeanor convictions. The entire record of your case would show on your RAP sheet for the rest of your life. By "entire record" I mean that even if you were arrested for a felony but your felony was reduced to a misdemeanor, that felony arrest and your misdemeanor conviction would show on your record, and there is nothing that you could do to remove it from your record.

However, you can get your civil rights restored. You would do this by applying a Certificate of Relief from Civil Disabilities. A certificate of relief willl not erase your record but will make it unlawful for a New York State licensing agency, employer or landlord to discriminate against you on the basis of your former felony conviction.

You can learn more about the Certificate here and what it can do and not do for you. You could apply for it yourself without needing a lawyer and it is free for you to do so. The application form itself is available from the web and you can get it here.

Good luck

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well what I found said that if I served my sentence and completed my probation New York State automatically restores my civil
Rights once that is all
Completed I
Just need to terrorists to
Vote
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Reregister. Not terrorist. Lol
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 months ago.

It will not restore your gun rights. You need the certificate for that.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have no desire to carry a gun!
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 months ago.

Fine. Then you're good to go.

But unfortunately, there's no way to remove the conviction from your record, unless you can get a lawyer to reopen your case and bring it before the judge and ask for it to be dismissed. If it's dismissed, NYS will seal it and destroy all records.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.