Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor

I have an ex that won't talk to me and claims she went to

Customer Question

I have an ex that won't talk to me and claims she went to the police to report me for assault (which is false). Yet I have not been contacted by the police. How can I know if any of this is true?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: Maryland. About a month ago
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I don't know
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is there a way to find out what she has told the police and is there a way to force her to talk to me.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, generally, if the assault was reported to the police, the police report would be made confidential while criminal investigation is being conducted and would not be available to public, including the alleged suspect, unless criminal charges are filed against the suspect.

Also, if one adult person does not want to talk to her adult ex, not only such adult cannot be forced to talk to anyone, but it would be a good idea not to contact an ex, who doesn't wish to communicate, since unwanted contact can also result in potential harassment and / or stalking charges.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!