CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  9+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
9540344

Someone i know stole my debit card information and used it

Customer Question

Someone i know stole my debit card information and used it to pay for a phone bill .... In criminal court what kind of evidence would I need ? Would a screen shot of our text ... Bank statement ,.. Would be enough... Or do I have to have an actually evidence him using it ... It's paid for his phone but still how would I fight if he says he didn't do it. What more evidence do I need...(the text is denying it too)
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 4 months ago.

Good morning. This is a crime against the State and they would represent your interest as the victim. They would need to gather evidence to show and prove beyond a reasonable doubt, that this person stole your information. This can be done through physical evidence and testimony, to link them to the theft. Screen shots, bank statements and anything relevant to the charge, would be needed. After all, if you never authorized your bank account to be used to pay for their phone bill, why/how did their bill get paid from your account. Unless the phone company said this was an error, they would have likely obtained it and used it and it can be traced back.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The detective have asked me to send him the text messages the disbut bank statement and my Actuall credit card picture ... But I am confused how this will play. Does he have to admit to it? Or there should be an Actuall Evedence of he did it. I am scared I might lose. I didn't see him use it.

There is nothing for you to lose or be scared about. This is criminal and the State will act and represent your interest. Turn over the evidence and they can decide if there is enough to prosecute. Nothing to worry about.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!