Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I'm a Disabled combat Veteran with a 50% rating of PTSD. I

Customer Question

I'm a Disabled combat Veteran with a 50% rating of PTSD. I bought some herbal Incense at a store 20 minutes from my house and then doing an online search of the products found a site online that should it for half the price. I believed it was legal because of the sales tax, the postal service being used and an invoice with the location and store owners name. I have sleep issues and wanted to stay away from the ABC store and prescription drugs so I bought the stuff. I was stopped at a checkpoint and charged with possession. I was told in court I'm looking at 3 to 7.JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?Customer: NCJA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?Customer: Winston S***JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?Customer: I have kept all receipts and invoices. I used credit cards and payed COD. I also took the screen shot from the web sites shoeing the claim everything was legal and contained no banned substance.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

At what checkpoint were you stopped?

What are the exact criminal charges?

What is your legal question for me?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was stopped at a stop sign with no blue lights and the officer was just standing in the intersection and knocked on my window. As far as I know in NC checkpoint require blue lights.

What are the exact criminal charges?

What is your legal question for me?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Possession of a synthetic, possession of drug para and DUI. However everything is based on the results from the crime lab.

What is your legal question for me?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have been in contact with the legal liaison at the VA specializing in supporting Veterans with PTSD in criminal proceedings but have yet to hear back. I do know the supreme Court ruled that combat PTSD can be used as a legal defense if linked to the symptoms. Controlling my nightmares so i could sleep was the reason I used the stuff.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Im' trying to find out if there are lawyers that specialize in this issue.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
As well as the case the DA has against me being the store i purchased it from is still selling it in the county I'm charged
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Applying G*** v W*** I requested a public defender and was denied. I an not in the position to afford an attorney at this time. What should be my next move?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Applying the 8th the lose of my license without yet receiving confirmation from the state crime lab I was impaired on a substance has placed me in a situation I can no longer make it to appointments for therapy as well as provide care for my daughter. That to me in itself is a violation of my due process rights. NC laws determine driving is a privilege. It is required for my survival. How is a situation like this handled?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It might be helpful to know Ive been hospitalized twice since 2012 for suicidal ideations.

Unfortunately, I am afraid that your question / situation is beyond the scope of a general legal answer that I can provide on this website, I will opt-out of your question at no charge to you and will open your question for other JustAnswer.com legal professionals to review.

I wish you the best of luck!

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 4 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

Different expert here. I would be wiling to talk with you on the phone about this...I will send the offer.

If you accept I can provide my phone #

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Before I do. I have one more question. I'm with my daughter now so I'm trying to control the conversation from hitting her ears. My question is, would it be helpful or harmful to me at this point to go to the DA, let them know that what I've learned since the arrest, I want this stuff out of our community as bad as they do. I know where the tobacco shop is that has a large quantity of the stuff and I'd like to help shut them down? I'm not sure if your reachable during the weekend. I will be free of listening ears tomorrow.

Lets talk tomorrow. I am free in the afternoon.

Follow up...are you still looking to talk on the phone?