Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

I'm on probation but I need. To travel to Cuba because of

Customer Question

Hi I'm on probation for 18months but I need. To travel to Cuba because of family emergency will I be able to go '' if there anything I can do thank you
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

You need to ask permission of your probation officer. Be prepared to document the family emergency. If he or she denies you, get your lawyer and take the matter to the judge. If you can document the emergency, most probation officers and/or judges are reasonable.

If you leave the country without permission and your PO finds out, you'll be violated and can be arrested when you try to enter the country.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I ask my lawyer and she called the judge office and they tall her that the probation oficer was the one to aprove me ,,so I called the probetion oficer and he tall me that the judge was the one to aprove me ,,so I don't know what to do
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

Your lawyer should be able to straighten this out for you. The important thing is to be able to show a real emergency.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I thought about writing a letter to the judge
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

You have a lawyer. Let your lawyer negotiate this. Otherwise, a judge may decide not to even read your letter because he's not allowed to have ex parte communication. And he may just hand it over to your lawyer, which will waste tim.

Talk to your lawyer. Your lawyer can get you and your probation officer back before the judge where you can document your emergency and the court and probation can come to an agreement.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.