KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
92128996

How can I get a felony charge off my record it has been 7

Customer Question

How can I get a felony charge off my record it has been 7 years
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 4 months ago.
What state are you located?
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site, the answers are for general information. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

In Texas, whether a felony can be removed from your record depends completely on how the charge was resolved. If you plead guilty or were convicted by a judge(court)/jury, then there is nothing that can be done.

If you were found not guilty, the charges no-billed, or the charges were dismissed then you can likely move to have the charge expunged. If on the other hand, you successfully completed a deferred adjudication probation (not straight probation) and a sufficient period of time has passed (typically five years) then you can file a motion for non-disclosure to seal your record from just about everyone but law enforcement. If it is an eligible felony, then you must have served out the deferred and been off it for at least 5 years. The petition is filed in the court in which the case was prosecuted. The judge must find that it is in the best interest of you and the community to grant the petition. If granted, the record is sealed against many prying eyes such as local record checks.

Straight probation will not let you do this, but only deferred will. Also, certain crimes are ineligible for sealing.

You should consult with a criminal defense attorney about your options, and whether the felony is eligible. Attorney’s usually charge a fee for such a motion to seal or expunge of about $1,000-$1,500. I hope this helps.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 4 months ago.

If you have any other questions, just ask, if not please rate the question for credit and tracking.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 4 months ago.
If you have any other questions just ask. If not, please rate the question for credit and tracking.
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 4 months ago.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 4 months ago.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 4 months ago.

If you have any other questions, just ask. If not please rate the question for credit and tracking. If you don't rate the question, I will not get credit for my work.