Barrister, Criminal Defense Law
Experience:  15 years practicing criminal defense.

In utah what is the time frame in which a crime must be

Customer Question

In utah what is the time frame in which a crime must be filed for say a misdemeanor?
Or a felony?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

The time for a charge to be filed is determined by the appropriate statute of limitations which runs from the date of the offense and varies with the particular offense.

Utah Code 76-1-301, et seq.: Limitations of Actions

Capital felony, murder, manslaughter, none; other felony or negligent homicide: 4 yrs.; fraud or breach of fiduciary obligation, official misconduct: 3 yrs. max.; rape, sodomy, or sexual abuse of a child: within 4 yrs. of reporting offense; child abuse homicide, aggravated kidnapping, child kidnapping: none; violent felony: none if identity of perpetrator unknown but DNA evidence is collected and would identify the person at a later date (does not apply if statute of limitations has run as of May 5, 2003 without changes filed), once identification made, within one year if statute of limitations has run; misuse of public monies, falsification or alteration of public records, bribery: 2 yrs. after facts reported to prosecutor

2 yrs.; infractions: 1 yr.