Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

I live in Island New York I have been married years and

Customer Question

Hi I live in Long Island New York I have been married for five years and still am . I took check from my wife account I am not on the account and I signed her name to the checks and took the money can she press charges against me for this
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Are you online at this time?

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

Your wife can try to press charges, but if the two of you are living together and married, in my experience, neither the police nor the DA's office will be much interested in prosecuting you. They would find it hard to get a conviction. In most marriages husbands and wives will occasionally sign each other's names and they share their assets as well. It would likely be very difficult for a DA to meet his burden of proof that this would be theft. These are marital assets.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.