Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Former administrative hearing officer

I have a neighbor in the adjoining property that has put up

Customer Question

I have a neighbor in the adjoining property that has put up a video camera pointed at my front door. I understand a law enforcement officer told him if he was having a problem to put up a camera to catch anyone doing things to his property. I fail to see how pointing it at my front door will achieve this and seems to be nothing more than harassment. I've had to call the sheriff on him several times before, and I think he sees this as getting even or something equally as stupid. What can I do about this?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Iowa
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, I live on social security, and have no funds.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: His wife has threatened me.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Unfortunately, so long as it is only pointed at the outside of your home, it is not illegal. The courts speak of an "expectation of privacy" and have held that there is no expectation of privacy when a person is outside. So, as long as the camera is not looking into your window, when you are on the outside of the home there is, according to courts, no expectation of privacy.

Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.