CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
9540344

Is all of this confidential? if I gave a few prescription

Customer Question

is all of this confidential?
JA: We keep all your personally identifiable information confidential and even have people that double check to make sure something doesn't slip through. Your question goes out to the Criminal Lawyer's and then gets published with the answer to help others with similar problems.
Customer: if I gave a few prescription drugs to a friend and then he gave them to a friend, what are the legal ramifications if it comes out that I gave them to someone
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: Illinois
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 9 months ago.

Good morning. You could face felony charges. While you may have had a legal right to the drugs, you can not give them to someone else. If something were to happen to either of those individuals, you could be liable. The mere allegations alone by them, would not likely be enough to be charged but you do need to be aware that if something happens to them and they over dose or are harmed, this could come back to you, in addition to distributing a controlled substance. In addition, it would appear they were given to help the friend, not to be passed down the line, so you need to be aware that this person could create problems for you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The second person hung himself-not the person that they were given to. Cause of death is by hanging himself but you could make a case that the drugs made him do it. so it's not a question of overdose.

Then it should not come back to you and even if the person said it was given to them by someone else, it would be unlikely it was traced back to you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It was six weeks ago and my friend was saying how hard a time it was for her to sleep given all of this anxiety. He asked for the pills. I have no idea if he gave them to his friend or not. But he (second person) could have taken the drugs. Then he hung himself and I think the argument can be made that the drug caused him to have suicidal thoughts. Everyone knew he was depressed but no one can peace together why he did it. When they do the toxicology report and it comes back that he had I prescribed prescription drugs in his system, they would ask how he got them-it would be from the original friend and then to me. Suicide was hanging himself but who does or how does it work if the family wants to know how he got them? I have a prescription for it but obviously my friends do not.

That would be an investigation for the police to handle. While it was in their system, they hung themselves and it may be a stretch to say this was not from depression and was resulted from the drugs

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Everyone knew he was depressed. I think he saw a counselor and I think he was on other medication. Do people or law enforcement often look into cases when the deceased has a toxicology report with drugs in their system-even though he hung himself as the obvious cause of death?

They would review the report but likely conclude they took these on their own.

Hi, are you still with me?

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.