Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

I ordered delivery food as I often do using my

Customer Question

I ordered delivery food as I often do using my Grandmother's credit card. This is something that I am allowed to do. I always sign my Grandmother's name to the receipt. When the delivery driver got here he didn't have the receipt. I was concerned that they would sign my name to the receipt (which I am not even sure of) and perhaps that could lead to some problems. Do I have any concerns?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Are you online at this time?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am here.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

Thanks. I'm typing an answer for you now.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

They can put your charge through without your signature, just the way they do if you order something online. So long as your grandmother allowed you to use her card to pay for the delivery and so long as the company did not charge in excess of what you ordered, you would have nothing to be concerned about here.

If it turns out that you were charged for goods or services not received your grandmother could call her carrier and dispute the charge. But otherwise, I don't see the need for your concern. Is there some specific reason you think this would be a problem?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
They will charge somewhat in excess as what I ordered because they asked what tip I wanted to leave because they didn't have the slip and I said $3.00. That is the only excess charge. I was concerned that someone, maybe at American Express, or whatever would see that there is her name attached to the card but my signature on the slip. And that perhaps someone might think it was some kind of fraud which it was not. Is this an issue? Or are you saying that as long as my Grandmother doesn't dispute the charge (which she will not) there is nothing to worry about?
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

That's just what I'm saying. What Amex cares most about is that the bill is going to get paid. Assuming your scenario, if AmEx were to contact your grandmother and tell her that you signed a receipt and used her card, all she would have to say is that she gave you permission to use the card, and they would not look to file charges.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Would they usually contact her in this situation? Or would it be likely that nobody would even notice or care?
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

With a small charge like this one from a local proprietor, AmEx probably wouldn't do anything, particularly if there have been other charges for deliveries from this same establishment. But again, so long as you used the card with your grandmother's permission and your grandmother doesn't dispute that, you would have nothing to worry about.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It is a little bit more complex than that because my Grandmother actually has Alzheimer's disease and doesn't really talk. My Uncle, who has power of attorney, has no issue with my use of the card. However, I would hate for it to get bogged down in such a complex issue of checking back and forth and have looming charges over my head because I did what I have done many, many times before and that is ordering from that same take out place. So do you think I have anything to worry about? Do you think they will contact my Grandmother and thus maybe have to get my Uncle involved? I order from that place maybe 20 times a month but this time the guy just forgot the receipt. It seems as if I am blowing this out of proportion but I am not sure.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

You're blowing this way out of proportion. This is a small charge to a known creditor. I don't think anything's likely to happen at all, and if it did, you would have it covered.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Even with the fact that it is covered you are saying that it is highly unlikely that this would even be questioned, correct?
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Final question... Do you think that anyone would even notice that the signature (and this is IF the take out place signs my name to the slip) is different than the name on the card? In other words, I hear you that there is really nothing to worry about but it is also likely that no one will ever notice this difference between the name on the card and the name signed? I would think that a company like Amex wouldn't have time to look at every slip that is signed by customers.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I doubt the take out place will even care.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is this all correct?
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

I can't keep answering the same question over and over. You are overworrying this.

You don't even know that there is a signature, let alone what that signature says or looks like. Go enjoy what's left of the weekend. You'll be just fine if what you've told me is the truth.