RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

Can I be charged if someone states I was involved in a crime?

Customer Question

I was terminated from my job at the airport as a vendor for Hudson Group I was offered a severance package and employment with a good recommendation. 3 days after I was termed I was told that counterfeit money was found in the safe that day and now missing bank deposits. My Operational supervisor apparently has made some kind of statement involving me in some way I am uncertain as to what she is stating, but Its hard for me to believe that she could be involved as well. I feel at this point I need an attorney to represent me because not only is my reputation being ruined by all of the negative conversations that the company Loss Prevention Manager is putting out inside the airport, I am looking for a new job and cannot have this ruin my name with the salary bracket I am in. I am also worried now that the company will discontinue my workman's compensation payments to my hand doctor and whatever further treatments I may need. So, can I be charged for someone stating I was involved in this crime?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 3 months ago.

Potentially, unfortunately you could. When the police investigate, they only need "probable cause", or a reasonable belief, that a crime was committed, to make an arrest. However, that is different than the burden of proof a prosecutor (who ultimately makes the decision whether to charge someone) has. A prosecutor must be able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt, which is a very high burden of proof, that a crime was committed. So, sometimes what happens, even if police make an arrest, police decide not to file charges. It depends on the weight of the evidence. Accusations alone, without solid evidence to support the claim of your involvement in a crime are likely not enough. That would be like me accusing you of stealing from your job. I have no evidence to back up my claim. The reason I say it's "potentially" possible is because of course, ultimately I don't know what will happen, and I can't rule anything out, but I think the chances of it happening on words alone aren't enough.