Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

A friend was ordered to pay restitution and fines following

Customer Question

A friend was ordered to pay restitution and fines following a criminal conviction in Utah 1994. He paid some, but not all. The Utah statute of limitations for collections was 8 years, which has obviously long since passed. However, in 2009 Utah removed the statute of limitations for this kind of collections. Would the new law apply to my friend’s situation given that the statute of limitations was well over when the law was changed?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

Restitution is part of the sentence for a criminal case. Therefore criminal restitution is not subject to civil statute of limitation laws. You owe restitution until the entire debt is discharged. This was signed into law on March 31, 2015. See Section 11.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.