CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  9+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
9540344

My vehicle was stolen and involved in a gh speed chase from

Customer Question

My vehicle was stolen and involved in a high speed chase from the police and I'm being accused of being in my vehicle at that time and they are saying it wasn't stolen . I reported it stolen and did a statement at my local police station and now I'm being told that I am lying and was a passenger in my very own stolen vehicle and that I know the driver and the car is being held and they won't give it back until I go in and speak with another officer to give a statement .. And the car is at a local body repair shop but can't be released
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: IN IT HAPPENED LAST FRIDAY EARLY MORNING
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No not sure which kind to contact
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I'm hearing rumors of suspects that are being accused and have associated with one of them and didn't realize his last name was what it was and I told police I didn't know him .. But realized the name after the interview was a guy I did hang with but wasn't honest about his last name
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 5 months ago.

Did they ever catch the vehicle, during the chase? Why do they think you were in the car?

Where were you at the time this happened?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
They found my vehicle but not suspects and I was at a friends house

Thank you. If you have nothing to hide, you can go to the police and make a statement. Moreover, if you were at a friends house, you have an alibi and can bring your friend with you to make a statement as well, that you were at their house at the time the vehicle was stolen. Once this is done, it should clear any thought that you may have been involved and there should be no reason that your vehicle is not released and/or you should be a person of interest any longer.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I found out they are placing me in vehicle because it was a ex boyfriend possibly driving my vehicle

Mere allegations alone and they need evidence to show and support it. They would need someone to have 1) seen you in the car or 2) someone to testify that you were in it. If you have an alibi and someone will testify to that, you have a defense

Expert:  CrimDefense replied 4 months ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!