Legal-Kal
Legal-Kal, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at Law Offices of Khaled Issa
90630425

Is there anything I shouldn't do while I'm in

Customer Question

Is there anything I shouldn't do while I'm in expungement proceedings for my conviction?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Legal-Kal replied 5 months ago.

Good afternoon:

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to provide general information regarding your question.

The answer is "yes." The only thing that is required of you is to NOT pick up any new cases during the proceedings (and after). The reason is two-fold:

1) An expungement can only occur if there are no other criminal convictions (aside from the one you are seeking expungement for). This is an eligibility requirement. This means that if you are convicted of an offense, NOTHING on your record can be expunged (including unrelated offenses).

2) Expungements are only a once-in-a-lifetime relief. That means that if you were to pick up an arrest or conviction either during, or after, the proceedings, those new offenses/convictions cannot be expunged if you have already been granted an expungement.

Any questions based on this? If so, please ask and I would be happy to answer further.

If not, please remember that experts here are not employees of JustAnswer and do not get credited for taking the time to assist individuals until they click ACCEPT and rate three stars or higher the assistance provided. Thank you!

***General information provided here is for educational and informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice, nor should it be relied upon as such. It is always wise to consult with an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction***