Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

A member of my family was recently incarcerated in a

Customer Question

A member of my family was recently incarcerated in a different county and missed court dates while being in jail. After serving her time she was extradited to the county where she had warrants for FTA. Today she had a court date where the judge dismissed these charges of FTA. When learning that she had a $15,000 bond set on her, a bails bondsmen was given 10% of this amount to post bond. When he went to do the paper work he was told that there was a hold on her and she could not be bonded out. My question is----- should the bail bondsman refund some or all of the money that was given to him to post bond since the charges are now dismissed. We are being told by this person that there is no refund. Just want to make sure if he is being truthful or trying to pull the wool over our eyes. This has happened in the state of Tennessee.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 7 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Did the bail bondsman in fact posted bail / bond for your relative?

Does she have an immigration hold?

Please clarify?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When the bondsman went to post bail and tried to get her released he was told that there was a hold on her and she could not be released. Evidently when she went for the FTA there was a problem with the satellite and her case could not be reviewed for the second FTA. Three weeks went by because the court was over loaded with serious cases that required many days of the courts time and today she finally went to court where the judge dismissed the FTA charges and she is still incarcerated for another month and then will be released where she will have 2 years of probation. The bondsman said that there would be no refund because there was a hold on her even though he did not post the bond.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It would not bother me at all if there was a fee for his time but I am not sure about keeping the total of $1500.00

Thank you for your follow up.

Did you have a written agreement with the bail bondsman related to the bondsman services?

Did the agreement state that there will not be any refunds under any circumstances?