RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

I live in florida and tried to help a girlfriend 5 years ago

Customer Question

I live in florida and tried to help a girlfriend 5 years ago by allowing her to move in with me to save money. She pays no rent or utilities but on occasion buys some food, vacuums the house and does some laundry but suddenly decide she is not doing anything anymore. I asked her to leave but she refuses to. what can I do to legally get her out?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed Florida attorney and look forward to assisting you.

Since she has been a long term guest and (I am assuming) receives mail there, may have a driver's license with your address and occasionally contributes to household expenses, she has the rights of a month to month tenant. Therefore, first you must provide her with fifteen days notice to quit (leave) the premises. If she refuses to vacate at that point, you would have to sue her for eviction in county court and get a court order to make her leave.

You could certainly attempt to simply call the police and have her removed as a trespasser; but my experience has been that police don't want to get involved in what they consider to be a civil matter.

Did you need clarification or additional information about my answer? If so, please reply, I'm happy to assist further. Otherwise, please remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as experts are not employees of this site and we are only paid if you leave a positive rating. Thank you.

Just following up with you to see if you had further questions or needed clarification about my answer?