Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor

I recieved a check from my health insurance company back in

Customer Question

I recieved a check from my health insurance company back in april in the amount of 3500.00 and it was made out in my name. I deposited the check in my account but did bit recieve a bill from a doctor. Unrelated to this matter i was fired from my job and.had to subsequently use the money I had in my account to pay my rent and other expenses. Now i get a letter from a doctor stating that my insurance company sent me a check for his services and to please remit paymen. I am trying to figure out if i commited fraud and/or sould i contact the doctors office explain my situation and ask for a payment plan option as i do not want to.go to jail. If i did commit fraud am i going to jail, i live in the state of ny.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Thank you for your follow up.

I can't comment on your specific case, but generally, if an insured accepts a check for medical services provided by a medical provider and the cashes / deposits the check and fails to use funds to pay the medical provider, such action can be construed as insurance fraud and can subject insured to criminal felony charges for insurance fraud.

So generally, it is very important to pay the medical provider the entire amount of the bill for which insured made claim and received funds from the insurance company as soon as possible, in order to avoid potential serious criminal charges.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.