Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.

I moved from another state to here. I was a tier 1 when I

Customer Question

I moved from another state to here. I was a tier 1 when I 1st arrived, now they are saying I'm a tier 3. I've been compliant and broke no laws. My crime has nothing to do with children. How can they just change my tier?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 3 months ago.

This is Samuel. Apparently, there was a law change. It also was challenged in the courts. But the courts ruled the change can be mandated. Please see this LINK for a most recent news account of how the matter has been brought to court. I suggest you might want to contact the Attorney named for the Plaintiffs and discuss this matter.

And at this LINK you can read the NV Assembly Bill 579 as referenced. That was the bill that was then passed into law which allows the changes on the Tiers.

If your crime and conviction does not meet the criteria as set forth in the Bill, I suggest you consider contacting the attorney for the plaintiffs mentioned in the news account as it seems she is familiar with the matter at hand.

I also suggest it may be possible for you as a "tier one" to still petition the court to be removed from registration as long as you have been crime free for the past 10 years. You can review this LINK for the memo which mentions the following:

Under A.B 579, Tier I offenders must register for 15 years but may petition

for early release after 10 consecutive years without a conviction for a new

felony or sexual offense, and successful completion of any probationary or

parole terms and a certified sex offender treatment program.

Please take time to review at least the last blue link on the memo. Read the "misconceptions" and then if you have other questions, please let me know here. You say your crime did not involve a minor - so there may be some latitude for you in that regard.