Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney and Counselor at Law

My 24 year old son was involved in a single car accident

Customer Question

My 24 year old son was involved in a single car accident yesterday morning, then taken in for DUI. BAC was 0.11. No injuries. I am researching possible outcomes.
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: Oh yes. California, Los Angeles County
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: We briefly did, are supposed to call him on Tuesday to get an appt to get the DMV hearing for suspension issue set
JA: Regulations vary from place to place, so can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I don't think so, but this is all new to me. No one else was in the car with him.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 3 months ago.

Hello. I will help you with your questions. I have been an attorney for 27 years and I was a district attorney for 9 years. I am sorry you are going through this. If you give me a short time, I am preparing a complete answer for you. Then you can ask followup questions.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you.

The good news is that there was no injury to your son or another person. I am assuming this is your son’s first DUI offense and that he is charged with a misdemeanor under section 23152. This law reads as follows:

23152. (a) It is unlawful for a person who is under the influence

of any alcoholic beverage to drive a vehicle.

(b) It is unlawful for a person who has 0.08 percent or more, by

weight, of alcohol in his or her blood to drive a vehicle.

For purposes of this article and Section 34501.16, percent, by

weight, of alcohol in a person's blood is based upon grams of alcohol

per 100 milliliters of blood or grams of alcohol per 210 liters of

If convicted of this, your son faces jail time from 5 days to 1 year, a minimum fine of $390, probation for 3 years and driving school which he must successfully complete. DUI School can last from three to 30 months.

His license will also be automatically suspended for up to 1 year. He is entitled to an administrative review for of the suspension by the DMV. If the review upholds the suspension, he can request a hearing to contest the suspension. In most DUI case, however, the suspension will be upheld. He can go to a DMV field office to request a restricted license so that he can drive to and from work only.

Please let me know if you have questions. I will be happy to help more. If you are satisfied with my help, please rate me.