Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor

I am the victim in a crime and the person responsible

Customer Question

Hello, I am the victim in a crime and the person responsible for the crime(s) has been indited on 4 felony charges in the state of Ohio. Is there anyway that I as the victim could drop the charges or choose not to testify? Does the answer different for each charge/
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Generally, once the charges are filed by the state prosecutor, it is not up to the victim whether the charges are prosecuted, but up to the prosecutor and the judge and unfortunate the witness / victim would generally be subpoenaed to testify at trial and if the victim doesn't comply with the subpoena and doesn't appear in court to testify, then the victim could face contempt of court and could face penalties which can range from fines to jail term, until the victim complies.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!