Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

I received a disorderly conduct charge a month ago and the

Customer Question

I received a disorderly conduct charge a month ago and the court date on my ticket looked like July 4 or maybe July 11. I called today to confirm and was told I had missed court and that my court date was today on the first. I have never gotten a disorderly conduct violation but I do have two duis and 3 m.i.p.s on my record. I've paid all fines gotten off probation and haven't had a ticket before this one in over two years. I'm afraid I have a warrant out now and I can't call the court until Tuesday. I'm panicking right now. Help please?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

While I can't tell you that you shouldn't worry about a warrant, in my experience if you come to court on the first possible day you can -- which would be Tuesday -- and if you have no history of warranting on any of your other cases, you'd likely be able to convince the judge that you simply got the date wrong due to the handwriting on the ticket. He'll lift the warrant and go forward from there.

Typically, the warrant doesn't even get logged in the court computer until the following morning after it issued. In this case, with a holiday weekend, it's not likely to be in the computer until Tuesday. So if your primary concern is that the police may come to your door and arrest you during a holiday weekend, the odds of that are very, very, very low.

But you should plan on coming to court on Tuesday, preferably with a lawyer, just to be on the safe side, if you can manage that.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.