legalgems, Lawyer
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed

One of my brother's friend in China would investment

Customer Question

Hi, one of my brother's friend in China would investment immigrant to US and need a large amount of money on his account. He wire transfer me 4 large amount of money and want me to send them back to his account in Hong Kong.
There are 4 different people sent the money from China to my BOA account (50k each), its 200k in total. I can see the senders name and frombank in my bank statement, but I don't know the sender(person). And I don't know the legitimacy of those 4 amount of money.
Why 50k each? This may because one Chinese person only have 50k USD foreign currency quota.
Some one told me that this behavior looks like a risky of money laundering. I received large amount of money separately and sent out to someone else in a short time. And I heard the bank needs to report the activity.
I have received all of the money. What should I do now, should I need lawful proof of those 4 amount of money? Or I have to return back the money, but how to return back?
FYI, I'm now under H1B status.Thanks,
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  legalgems replied 3 months ago.

I am very sorry to hear you are dealing with this;

Banks need to report transactions that are $10,000 or over.

When unknown people request financial assistance it is usually a scam; often times the party will send money, requesting that the recipient deposit the check; while the check is still pending, they will request the recipient to send the money back to the sender; in the meantime the checks won't clear, so the recipient will be out whatever money was sent.

Please see:

Additionally there would be no need for a prospective immigrant to have $200,000 (and even if so, it does not have to be in USD). They just need to show their financial ability to support themselves.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Its not scam, because I already received it for 2 weeks.
I want to know if I receive then transfer those amount of money to Hong Kong is legal or not?

It depends - under the Bank Secrecy Act, the government has jurisdiction to investigate large sums of money being deposited/transferred; if there is in fact money laundering then all parties would be criminally liable; so generally before dealing with large sums of money on an international basis it is best to hire a financial advisor and only deal with people that one is familiar with that are engaging in a lawful purpose- ie there should be a contract stating the purpose of the transfer, why money is received/sent, etc. as it is not clear why the money was sent in the first place; if it was not part of an inheritance or investment and there is no cause for the money that is a red flag and one would need to have an accountant determine the purpose of the funds and to ensure there is not money laundering or other criminal issues.

checking in on the above; thank you for using Just Answer; enjoy the holiday weekend.