Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

I frequently get phone calls from people I believe are con

Customer Question

I frequently get phone calls from people I believe are con artists. They say they've detected a virus on my computer and need me to go to my computer and follow a series on instructions ( I never do). I tell them they can only know it's my computer if they know my IP address. When I ask them for it they are never able to correctly tell me what it is - no surprise. But wouldn't they need a warrant to find out my IP address anyway?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?
Customer: I live in Waldorf, Maryland. But I believe no warrant was ever issued. In fact, I don't believe these people even know if I own a computer. I think they want me to follow their instructions for nefarious purposes.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, I don't think I need one. I've done nothing wrong, nor have I been charged with anything. I think these are just con artists trying to prey on people who are not computer savvy.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: No, my only question is do people need a warrant to find out your IP address or can they obtain it by other means?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Are you online at this time?

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

There are many ways to obtain someone's IP address. No court order is necessary. See link.

You're correct, however, in the sense that these scammers -- and they are scammers -- are not going to be able to get your computer IP address just by knowing your name. And they would need a court order to get information about your account from your internet carrier.

But, if you corresponded with them via your computer, they could easily get your IP address.