How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 3132
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Son served 4 years Assault. Before he was convicted, we

Customer Question

My Son served 4 years for Aggravated Assault. Before he was convicted, we were told by that if we signed up with a program (Right Way, Wrong Way), he could get his sentence reduced. The Attorney (recently decease) presented it to the Judge and the Judge put it in paperwork that he would have to complete the 1 year program. I paid the guy $500 and still owed a balance of $500 to do the paperwork. The program I believe is $10,000.00. Well, my Son completed his whole sentence (just let out Monday). My question is, can we get the Judge to amend this order since he did not have an early release? He served his time.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Can you please clarify:

1) What state is this in?

2) Was he to do the program BEFORE being sentenced, or, AFTER being let out?

3) If he was to do the program after being let out (early), how come he did the full term? Was it because the paperwork and payment with the program was never finalized?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.
Hello! Just touching base to see if you still needed an answer and if you could reply to my query. Thanks!

Related Criminal Law Questions