Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

If a person allows someone to use their vehicle specific

Customer Question

If a person allows someone to use their vehicle for a specific reason, and then the vehicle is not returned (and is in fact being used in the commission of a crime) can the legal owner report the vehicle stolen?
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: CA
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: The person who took the car has served a previous prison sentence for a stolen vehicle.
JA: You're dealing with a tough issue. But don't worry -- you're in good hands. I know the lawyer has information that can help.
Customer: This is a great web site! I just found it tonight.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.

Hi - my name s Roger and I'll be glad to assist.

Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.

You could actually handle this issue one of two ways......

Since the friend took your vehicle with permission and won't return it, you could sue the person in civil court for conversion of your property (occurs when someone takes possession legally and then won't return it).

Alternatively, you could report the vehicle as stolen to the authorities (theft is intentionally depriving someone, even temporarily, of their property) and allow law enforcement to handle it.

Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!