CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
9540344

40 years ago I left ca after being a first time offender by

Customer Question

40 years ago I left ca after being a first time offender by taking my husbands gun from the house and pawning it; husband filed charges against me. I fled for fear of my life and never looked back. Now I applied for a cow and now was turned down for felony conviction, can I still go to jail?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 6 months ago.

Good morning. Just to be clear, was the case ever resolved? Also, what is your concern regarding jail? You shared you applied for a "cow"?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I applied for a concealed carry weapons permit for personal protection. This is how I found out that something in 1977 was not resolved

If the case was not resolved and is still open, then there could be an active warrant. You want and need to call the clerk of court in the county where the case was filed and speak with them or look online. If this was never resolved, then there should not be a conviction. When a felony is open, it will remain open until you appear before the court to resolve this. The open felony case may have been the basis for the denial but you do need to resolve this. Seeing how old the case it, it is likely that if you do appear and contest this, you will prevail, since the evidence, victim and any other parties are no longer living, can be found or even remember and the State may have to dismiss the case.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or concerns. I am here to help, so pleas just let me know.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
there is no warrant just a record of a conviction
what was the sentence ?