Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor

I received the email date of a new court date but no info

Customer Question

I received the email date of a new court date but no info that I need to appear. I received a call today there is a court date tomorrow and they try to subpoena me but unsucessful. I told them I moved and asked why i need to appear if i asked to drop the case but the state attorney said even though i requested the state attorney has final decision. They stated they want me present but I told them on the phone I have to work. Then asked me do I fear for my life and i answered no. Can i get in trouble for not being present? Can I get in trouble for not giving them my new address?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
I will be happy to answer your question.
Please note that any information is provided for educational purposes only!

I cannot comment on your specific case, but generally, if the person is subpoenaed to appear in court, then the person should appear in court or the judge might hold the person who doesn't comply with the subpoena in contempt of court and can order sanctions which can range from fines and court costs to jail time.

Also, any person who is a victim / witness in a court case, shall keep the court employees and/or prosecutor's office updated as to his/her current address.

I wish you the best of luck!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was not served a subpoena so I can still be in contempt?

Thank you for your follow up.

Generally, a person can only be held in contempt for not complying with subpoena for court appearance, if the subpoena was properly served on such person.

I wish you the best of luck!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.