Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
11068102

I have a class 4 misdemeanor on profane swearing or

Customer Question

Hello, I have a class 4 misdemeanor on profane swearing or Intoxication in public
JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?
Customer: It is in Virginia..we had a house party at my friends place on Saturday and the party eneded on Sunday morning at 5am
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: We didn't have a ride so as my apartment was just 10mins from my friends place, me along with my 3 friends started walking home
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: Okay thank you
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Is there a specific question with which I could assist?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I wanted to know what to do with this case. As I have just graduated and am looking for jobs I don't know if this is going to effect my job career.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have also added the photos of the forms that they gave.

If you are worried about the case then you should hire a lawyer and let them try to get you a pre-trial diversion or a deferred adjudication, if you don't have any prior. In a pretrial diversion, which you will almost certainly need a lawyer to get, the court puts you on an informal probation and lets you pay a fine. When the probation is over and you haven't gotten into any more trouble then the case is dismissed.

A deferred adjudication is more formal but essentially works the same. You will be on formal probation, the judge gives you a formal sentence, and you will have a fine but if you finish probation with no problems the judge dismisses the case as well. The problem with this one is that if you mess up on probation then you are sentenced to jail already and so you can't argue about whether you did it or not.

Obviously, the pretrial diversion is better and if you have a lawyer and don't have any priors then there is a reasonable chance you can get this.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.